Amazon Echo Dominates Smart Speaker Market in the UK

by Nadia Materson April 11, 2019

The number of smart speaker users in the UK is set to grow by almost one-third in 2019, after doubling this year. And the speaker of choice is decidedly the Amazon Echo, according to eMarketer’s inaugural forecast on smart speaker usage in the UK. But how long will Amazon be able to hold on to the lead?

UK Smart Speaker User Penetration, by Brand, 2018 & 2019 (% of smart speaker users)

In 2018, 9.5 million people in the UK will use a smart speaker, up 98.6% over 2017. More than two-thirds of those users (68.0%) will use an Amazon Echo, while 26.2% will use a Google Home. (Note, there is overlap, as some people own more than one device.)

“Early adopters tend to be open-minded about brands, usually picking whichever speaker is first available in stores,” said eMarketer forecasting analyst Jaimie Chung. “Amazon got to the UK before Google, and usage reflects this.”

Did you know that only 4% of your website visitors will convert on their first visit? With growing acquisition costs and increasing pressure to maximize ROI, you need a way to re-engage the other 96%. Learn how Criteo Dynamic Retargeting works, why it’s important, and about our must have capabilities in our free e-book.

In 2019, total smart speaker usage in the UK will grow another 31.6% to 12.6 million people. However, Amazon’s share will decrease to 63.8%, while Google’s share will increase to 29.5%. eMarketer expects this trend to continue through 2020.

“Market shares will continue to shift as smart speaker users learn the nuances of the different voice assistants,” Chung said. “Each assistant works with a different set of smart-home devices, music subscription services, video players, etc. So as users adopt more of these, they will choose their assistant accordingly. We’re even beginning to see some crossover with Apple Music coming to the Echo.”

Despite the growing capabilities of smart speakers, people still tend to use them for basic functions: listening to music or podcasts, listening to the news, asking for weather and traffic, and asking general questions.

First published – Emarketer

Social Shares

Related Articles

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *